Wednesday, June 5, 2013

I Found Me A Bentley!

Add caption
 What a great week I have had. I had chance to pull out all the stops at Beckenham Methodist Church, when I was treated to spend an hour trying out my skills on the big pipe organ. It was a bit scary, but David, one of the regular organists, explained the ins and outs of the levers (stops) and what went on with 'feet'. He then left me to it. I was able to practice a few hymns and provide a bit of background music for the coffee shop clientele, but I don't think I am ready to be unleashed in front of a congregation. I'm happy with the electronic Yamaha that I play at Clock House. The experience was great, though, and I can go and play some more whenever I want.


After my volunteer job at the coffee shop, on Monday, I decided to walk back home via Kelsey Park. It was delightful, full of green, green, and smelling of excited cytoplasm. Birds were twittering, squirrels were darting about, and wood pigeons shyly strutted in the shade of tall trees. It was the stuff that poems are made of.
 So, speaking of poetry, what do you think to Carol Ann Duffy's poem for the Coronation celebration in Westminster Abbey. I thought it was a lovely poem, brilliantly crafted. And I liked it even better when I saw it written down.
The Crown
The crown translates a woman to a Queen –
endless gold, circling itself, an O like a well,
fathomless, for the years to drown in – history's bride,
anointed, blessed, for a crowning. One head alone
can know its weight, on throne, in pageantry,
and feel it still, in private space, when it's lifted:
not a hollow thing, but a measuring; no halo,
treasure, but a valuing; decades and duty. Time-gifted,
the crown is old light, journeying from skulls of kings
to living Queen.
                                           Its jewels glow, virtues; loyalty's ruby, blood-deep; sapphire's ice resilience; emerald evergreen;
the shy pearl, humility. My whole life, whether it be long
or short, devoted to your service.
 Not lightly worn.
Of course I may be a bit bias, but Carol Ann Duffy was one of my mentors way back in 1993, along with Mathew Sweeney, both excellent poets.

If you missed watching the service with all it's pageantry, music and fashions, then I urge you to pop on You Tube and select one of the many recordings made.
So, after a relaxing day at home with the Queen, my cello and a few episodes of The Tudors, on TV, I slept soundly, and was up at the crack of dawn this morning to do a bit of housework and get ready for another adventurous day.

10.30 a.m. Coffee Morning at Abbeyfield, where I was invited to offer a rendering of one of my poems, and talk a little about my book, Tears from the Sun - A Cretan Journey. And after that I went to the Jolly Woodman with my new friends from the Beckenham Ladies Choir, to fill in an hour before heading of to Chiselhurst where we gave an afternoon concert.
As you can see I had an attentive audience at Abbeyfield.
And then to the stuff that dreams are made of. As we came out of the residential home, full of tea, biscuits, and Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend (part of our repertoire), I couldn't help taking advantage of a photo with this parked Bentley. You may not know this, but this car is on my vision board, I just had to touch it, very lightly of course so as not to leave a smudge. Personally, I think we look good together!
Well, dream the music and the tune follows! Dum-de-dum! Bye for now, I'm off to my kitchen to sizzle up some sausages.


May the sun be shining on you wherever you are.

Bye for now, love Jane x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tears From The Sun - The Story